It was a nice warm sunny day in the middle of winter. My kids looked out of the window, they ventured on to the balcony, and then it was decided.
It was PAINTING time!
I haven’t tried to make homemade finger paints before because I was worried that the food coloring would stain my kids hands (it didn’t). I used a finger painting recipe from the Itty Bitty Bookworm curriculum and I was amazed at how vivid the finger paint colors were. I was also very happy with the texture of this paint!
I haven’t tried this recipe but it looks great.
Benefits of Finger painting include:
- It is an excellent tactile experience.
- It stimulates your childs senses. (Touch/feel, sight, smell, edible finger paint= taste)
- The mixing of colors teaches your child about their colors and how to create new colors
- It allows them to use their imagination and create
- It is emotionally soothing (in most cases).
- It strengthens the hand and fingers which helps with fine motor skills.
- Most importantly, it is FUN!
Here’s what you can do with finger paints: