This easy open ended art snowman craft painting activity is so versatile! The Printable Snowman Template can be used in a variety of ways depending on your child’s age. Toddlers and preschool kids can do a basic winter scene painting activity while older kids can do some collaging and add in different paint textures like stars and snowflakes. We threw in some glitter glue and my kids were ecstatic!
Open Ended Art Snowman Craft Painting Activity
We did this activity Live On Instagram. It was so much of fun! I released the printable activity early for my newsletter subscribers so that they could join in. We have been loving our winter themed activities. Each activity worked on a different skill. We did collage work with our do you want to build a snowman craft, we focused on number recognition with our gingerbread clip cards, counting skills with our winter preschool count and clip cards, early math subitizing skills with our Snowman Ten Frame Cards and alphabet letter matching and pre-writing skills with my Winter PreK Activity Pack.
I particularly love that this snowman craft is a fun open ended art activity that will be different for each child and amongst kids of different ages.
Winter Painting Activity Materials Required:
Please note that affiliate links are used in this post.
- Glitter Glue – this one is my favorite but you can buy these smaller ones from Amazon.
- Paint Brushes
- Tray (optional)
- Snowman Template
The Snowman Open Ended Art Activity
- Step 1: Take out all the materials you will be using.
- Step 2: Paint all over the background using blue. We mixed in some glitter to give the paint scene a glittery and shiny texture. When it was dry it looked like small snow particles!
- Step 3: Place 1, 2 or 3 snowman on your paper.
- Step 4: Decorate your snowman however you wish. See those hands being worked over here. After this activity I went ahead and purchased more of our favorite glitter glue (we ran out!) because these smaller glitter glue’s were very hard for her tiny hands and were constantly getting stuck once they weren’t overfull.
My 7 year old daughter added in some adorable snowflake sequins, buttons and a pipe cleaner as a scarf.
Download the Printable Snowman Template
My Snowman Picks
Check out these other Winter Themed Crafts and Activities
- Build a snowman craft
- Read Build Write – Winter Vocabulary and Handwriting Cards
- Snowman Fraction Clip Cards
- Gingerbread Number Clip Cards
- Gingerbread Tracing Worksheets
- Easy Open Ended Art Snowman Painting Activity
- Winter Preschool Clip Cards
- Snowman Fraction Clip Cards
My Winter TPT Activity Packs
- Math and Literacy Clip Card Activity Pack
- Gingerbread Pre-writing Tracing Strips
- Winter Alphabet and Number Activity Pack
Latest posts by Nadia (see all)
- Printable End of the Year Teacher Appreciation Gift Fingerprint - May 26, 2017
- DIY Hand Fidget Spinners With Videos! - May 24, 2017
- Play and Learn – STEM Activities + Toys for Multiple Ages! - May 22, 2017