After laughing my head off at a blog post I read online about how people sometimes lose their manners when talking to pregnant woman. I began to think back about some of the weird and not so great moments of my pregnancies that I now find hilarious.
Here are some odd/rude/now hilarious things people said to me when I was pregnant as well as some stories of silly and hormonal moments:
- “Wow you’re huge… Its cute, just like a baby elephant…” (yeah… because ya know, thats the look I am aiming for right?)
This was coming from another pregnant woman who looked like a penguin and like she was eating 3 cows daily but I mean… I do have manners… (joking!
or am I?)
- During my last month of pregnancy, My hair brush somehow falls on the floor while I’m using it.
“Faheem..” (I scream to the other room)
“Ummm I dropped my brush on the floor…”
I can see he is sort of annoyed that I called him all the way from the other room for this so I tell him how I hate to have to rely on other people and promptly remind him about the story of how I threw out my back in my last pregnancy by bending down (yada yada yada) and I had to get a painful injection in my back and couldn’t even go to the bathroom on my own… so this is obviously the easier way out for him 😉 “
- I was craving an ice cream from McDonalds.
As I get this gorgeous soft serve ice-cream and take my first lick it somehow falls….I begin crying… (I kid you not)
My husband looks at me in complete shock, “Here, have mine”
“I don’t want YOUR ice cream!” I manage to get out in between the tears…
“Then I’ll get you another ice cream Babe”
“But I don’t want another ice cream! I want MY ice cream the one I had first!!!”
Faheem looks at me and laughs (in a cute way that made me laugh too)
- I had a few red marks on my body(in my first pregnancy) which I actually thought were scratches for weeks (since I own a cat and all… )
No wait.. I don’t actually own a cat… hmmm wow… they must be scratches of love. 😉
Wow I’ve never had that before… this is pretty cool….
- After realising that the ‘scratches‘ are what stretch marks looks like(how sneaky!!) I was feeling really down and temporarily depressed… Somebody mutilated my body!
I immediately spent hours researching new techniques to get rid of stretch marks… after coming out empty handed I found a lovely post somewhere about how someone says to embrace the marks of love from a pregnancy… a memory I can always physically see…
(Yay i feel better…
is that really the best consolation I can get?and every time I don’t feel good about them then
I remind myself over and over about the marks of love from my kids and how I will always have them with me… FOREVER.. or at least until I find a laser that works without burning off all my skin)
- In my first pregnancy I counted my stretch marks and it bugged me. In my second pregnancy I wasn’t phased by it.
I didn’t count any.
I couldn’t remember which one came when
I mean… I thought it couldn’t possibly get any worse! (Oh YES it can!!)
- After my pregnancy I went to get a quotation on a new laser for stretch marks.
“Wait, did I hear that correctly? You need to put me under a general anesthetic. Then you burn off the skin and then new skin grows in its place? If I have stretch marks that obviously means my skin does not heal well… how would burning my skin off look better than the stretch marks?!”
- When I’d eat at my mother in laws house I always wondered why she bothers dishing out food on our side of the table in a separate dishing out bowl… Can’t you see that I’m pregnant? I’m entitled to the whole bowl… 😉
It’s not fun having to dish out food in my plate a million times while everyone else knows the food in that particular bowl
BELONGS to me the pregnant ladywas made lovingly for me of course.
- After I gained 16 kg in my first pregnancy I vowed to watch my weight in my second pregnancy… That went out the window when the nausea and hunger pangs hit. I would do ANYTHING to not feel nauseous which meant eating and snacking throughout the day. Who cares? I’m pregnant and I’m hungry! Obviously a lesson not learned!
(Yep.. I gained a whopping 22kg’s… or at least, that is when I stopped checking the scale.)
- Why is it that people think it is ok to call a pregnant woman fat? You wouldn’t call a normal woman fat. Do manners fly out the window when you are talking to someone pregnant? And…. “WOW I didn’t even recognise you” means the same thing!
Well… I’ll be the last one laughing when I get skinny again (and after 8 months post partum I could say HA HA HA)
- When I used to get worried that my son had not kicked for a while I’d tell my hubby to put his hand on my stomach and Deen would promptly kick like crazy… I say he was kicking because he was saying,
“It’s my mommy, get away from her.”
Faheem says it was because he loves his daddy so much that he was already trying to bond.
Potatos potaaaatos, who cares?
- My husband came home to me with my legs up on my desk sitting at the computer with my stomach fully exposed and my hand all over my stomach…
“Umm… What are you doing?”
“I’m watching the waves in my stomach.. It’s so cool! Come see”
I always wondered something when pregnant. Why don’t they have a stall in the woman’s bathroom specifically for the battered up bladder of a pregnant woman?
Then I had kids and I definitely think kids should get preference too… I mean… “Mama! Pee’s coming out” should really set off some bathroom sirens! Everyone duck!
I’m looking for some laughs today after having had a rough last week. What are some funny things that were said to you when you were pregnant? What about some now hilarious hormonal moments that you look back on and laugh?
Also, if you are currently pregnant, check out these 50+ Healthy Pregnancy Snacks.