Wondering how to get the most of your Royal Caribbean Cruise? Then look no further, especially if you will be traveling with kids. This blog post contains tips for cruising on Harmony Of The Seas cruise. Read my Harmony Of The Seas review after you check this out.
Harmony Of The Seas Tips + Secrets
- Pack your kids bathing suits in your carry on luggage or have them wear it under their clothes.
- Bring a lightweight stroller.
- After you board and put your stuff in your room, go check out the kids clubs. Make sure you have registered your children so that everything is in order for the cruise.
- If you have special meal requirements (kosher, halaal, vegetarian) then make sure to call Royal Caribbean 2 months before your cruise to note that on your reservation.
- Download the Harmony of the Seas Royal IQ app before you board.
- Buy the Royal IQ Phone Upgrade for $7.95. This helps you stay in touch with other people in your party by being able to make phone calls to their cell phones through the app. Please note that this app is not without it’s faults. The phone calls do not always work.
- Craving something specific? Mention it to your waiter… they might be able to make it happen. Our waiter was able to get us some chocolate covered strawberries!
- All members of your party will need to be present at check in time.
- Book Rubicon – The Escape Room as soon as you board.. It is definitely worth the price, sells out pretty fast and it was one of the best experiences!
- If you need Internet, make sure to reserve this before the cruise. There is a bigger discount the longer out you are from the cruise. The internet, called ZOOM, is really fast and I was very happy with it.
- Make sure to make reservations for all your shows before you cruise. People who make reservations for the shows get to enter 15 minutes earlier than everyone else. That means it is a lot easier to find a good seat. It also ensures that your family will be sitting together.My show schedule was as follows:
Day 1: Grease 8.30 – It is about an hour and a half.
Day 2: Fineline at 8.30 – It is a 50 minute show.
Day 3: Stand up Comedy at 9pm
Day 4: Headliner show at 8.30 – It is a 50 minute show.
Day 5: Columbus Show – It is a 30-45 minute show.
Day 6: 1887 at 7.30. – It is a 50 minute show.I did all of those reservations on the phone a few weeks before my cruise sailing date.
- Reserve The Fine Line Aqua Show at the earliest availability. There were 2 or 3 days that the show was cancelled due to the weather and we felt so bad that many people missed out on this wonderful show. I was grateful that we had watched this on the second night.
- The pools onboard are relatively quiet when the ship is docked at the islands. If you aren’t that interested in seeing the island, I suggest you stay onboard and enjoy the quieter ship.
- Decide ahead of time whether you will be purchasing the digital CD. If you are, make sure to take as many pictures with the professional photographers as you can.
- Take advantage of the carousel! It’s fun and free!
- Store luggage underneath the mattress in your stateroom. This is a great way to save space.
- Order lanyards with badges on Amazon so that you and your children don’t lose your keycards. Please note that your room keys act as a “credit card” of sorts. So you definitely do not want your children to lose this. I would take the key cards whenever my kids would go into the kids club. They only had it on when I was with them.
- Instead of lanyards you can purchase WOW Bands at guest services for $4.95
- When riding the Ultimate Abyss make sure you keep your elbows in otherwise you will get scraped. I had no problem with this because we followed the directions.
- Turn your keycards into magnets once the cruise is over.
- There are Dreamworks kids movies in the kids theater and on your stateroom tv each day.
- Familiarize yourself with the adventure ocean times each day.
Days at Sea: Morning session is 9am-12pm, Afternoon session is 2pm – 5pm. Adventure dining is from 5pm – 7pm and the evening session is 7pm-10pm. You can pay for more time in the late night party zone between 10pm – 2 am although I hadn’t tried that.
Days at port: Changes so check your guide.
- Bring highlighters and pens!
- Read your cruise compass each night. You will find it in your stateroom. It is filled with a calendar of all planned activities for the next day. I would highlight this each and every night so we knew what we wanted to do.
- You can collect free charms in each port. Just make sure you take your room key and go to each jeweler to ask if they have a gift for cruise guests. You can start from the DI Diamond store at your first stop. Then add it on to your bracelet.
These are some of the trinkets we collected.
- Go to jewelry stores in the port and ask if they have any cruise gifts.
- Buy magnets from each port to add to your fridge at home.
- Get your kids travel journals to write about each day. This one is also super cute! I brought along my own notebook/journal to take notes and kept my own form of travel diary.
- You do not have to go for each and every show. If theater shows are not your cup of tea, then don’t go! There are so many other things that you can do aboard the cruise, don’t waste it doing something you don’t love. We went for all the shows but I definitely think we could have skipped out on two.
- Make sure to reserve your ice skating time as soon as registration opens for each session. They normally open 15 minutes before the start time. Ice skating sessions were offered on Day 3.
- Look for family activities on your adventure ocean daily planner. The Family Science lab was a lot of fun for all my kids ages!
- Bring a snorkeling mask for yourself and the kids.
- Take a selfie stick with you so you can be in more pictures!
- Order the warm cake whenever you see it on the menu. Save this picture and show it to your waiter.. and ask them what this is called. It was only available on the first night of our cruise but it is delicious.
- If you are looking for some peaceful quiet time onboard then enroll your kids in kids club and go to the adult only pool deck. I didn’t get a chance to spend much time there, but from my walk through it was so relaxing and quiet!
- Bring a GoPro! It is wonderful for the islands. You can also rent a GoPro onboard.
- If using a GoPro note that you can only use it on the rock climbing wall. You aren’t allowed to take it on the Ultimate Abyss or Zipline.
- Bring rashguards. It can be very hot and very sunny.
- Bring goggles for the kids. (I would bring an extra because they somehow always get lost.)
10 Year olds goggles / 8 year olds goggles / 3 year olds goggles
- Pack hats – it can be very sunny. A baseball cap is a good option because it wont fly away with the wind.
- There are lot of fun photo opportunities, you can find many on Pinterest.
- There are also multiple secrets on board. Check these out before your trip.
Check out my Disney Magic Tips and Tricks here.
You can find my Harmony Of The Seas with kids review here.
Do you have any suggestions to add?