Are you wondering how to teach the alphabet to totschoolers and preschoolers? Or just looking for hands on alphabet activities for kids? Well then you have landed on the right page!
Here at Fun with Mama we believe in tapping into your child’s natural interest of language and the alphabet to learn through play! Below you will find hundreds of ideas to engage your kids through hands on exploration that will teach them the foundation of their alphabet knowledge!
What Does a Preschooler Need to Know About the Alphabet Before Kindergarten?
- Recite/Sing the Alphabet Song
- Indentify Upper Case Letters
- Indentify Lower Case Letters
- Match Uppercase Letters to Lower Case Letters
- Identify Letter Sounds
- Trace Letters
- Write Some Alphabet Letters
How to Teach Alphabet Activities
- Read, Read, and Read Some More! Reading to your child teaches them to get excited about books. This interest in books will be the perfect foundation for their pre-reading skills.
- Notice Print in the world around you. Traffic Signs, Cereal Boxes, and everywhere else – call it to your child’s attention whenever you can to help them see how print is used.
- Start with the Letters in Your Child’s Name. The most personalized and meaningful letters a child can learn are the ones that spell their own name.
- Play Letter by Letter Letter of the week is an easy and fantastic way to maintain structure while exploring the alphabet. If you are needing inspiration make sure to check out our Letter of the Week curriculum!
- Be Flexible Every child is going to pick up different concepts at different paces. Go at your child’s pace and adapt your lesson plans as needed.
- Have Fun! Kids this age learn the best through play and you know your child the best. Pick activities that you know they will love and play!
Alphabet Printables in Our Shop
Hands On Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers
Easter is coming and that means Easter activities. Introduce your kids to the wonderful book “The Easter Egg.” Then enjoy some Easter finger plays, crafts,
Try these Valentine letter activities. Includes an easy alphabet scavenger hunt that’s easy to set up and gets your kids moving. We’ve also got some
This hibernation preschool alphabet letter matching activity is the perfect addition to your preschool winter lesson plans. Children can match the uppercase and lowercase alphabet
These uppercase and lowercase letter matching cards will engage your preschooler to help the mommy uppercase alphabet letter find her matching baby lowercase letter. In
These Easter Egg Alphabet Letter Matching Puzzles are a great way to work on uppercase and lowercase letter recognition. We are always looking for fun
We love doing printable letter crafts here and always like to extend our alphabet activities for kids with fun and new hands on alphabet learning activities. These
Check out the Alphabet Song on our YouTube imaginary play and kids toy channel. The ABC Song is paired with an imaginary play activity.
Alphabet Letter Crafts
Letter of the Week Activities
What do rocket, rhino and robot all have in common? They are all part of the next printable pack in the series, the Letter R Worksheets
Hands on activities are perfect ways for children to learn, especially if they have a shorter attention span. These activities are all based on the
What do ufo, umpire and unicorn all have in common? They are all part of the next printable pack in the series, the Letter U worksheets for