Are you wondering how to teach the alphabet to totschoolers and preschoolers? Or just looking for hands on alphabet activities? Well then you have landed on the right page!
Here at Fun with Mama we believe in tapping into your child's natural interest of language and the alphabet to learn through play! Below you will find hundreds of ideas to engage your kids through hands on exploration that will teach them the foundation of their alphabet knowledge!
What Does a Preschooler Need to Know About the Alphabet Before Kindergarten?
- Recite/Sing the Alphabet Song
- Indentify Upper Case Letters
- Indentify Lower Case Letters
- Match Uppercase Letters to Lower Case Letters
- Identify Letter Sounds
- Trace Letters
- Write Some Alphabet Letters
How to Teach Alphabet Activities
- Read, Read, and Read Some More! Reading to your child teaches them to get excited about books. This interest in books will be the perfect foundation for their pre-reading skills.
- Notice Print in the world around you. Traffic Signs, Cereal Boxes, and everywhere else - call it to your child's attention whenever you can to help them see how print is used.
- Start with the Letters in Your Child's Name. The most personalized and meaningful letters a child can learn are the ones that spell their own name.
- Play Letter by Letter Letter of the week is an easy and fantastic way to maintain structure while exploring the alphabet. If you are needing inspiration make sure to check out our Letter of the Week curriculum!
- Be Flexible Every child is going to pick up different concepts at different paces. Go at your child's pace and adapt your lesson plans as needed.
- Have Fun! Kids this age learn the best through play and you know your child the best. Pick activities that you know they will love and play!
Alphabet Printables in Our Shop
Hands On Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers
These uppercase and lowercase letter matching cards will engage your preschooler to help the mommy uppercase alphabet letter find her matching baby lowercase letter. In
These Easter Egg Alphabet Letter Matching Puzzles are a great way to work on uppercase and lowercase letter recognition. We are always looking for fun
We love doing printable letter crafts here and always like to extend our alphabet activities for kids with fun and new hands on alphabet learning activities. These
Alphabet Letter Crafts
Letter of the Week Activities
We are up to Letter H already! This free Letter H Activities for preschool and kindergarten Pack is a great way for children to work on
This free Letter I activities for preschool and Kindergarten pack is the next printable pack in our alphabet series. Don’t forget to check out the other Free
This free Letter J activities for preschool and kindergarten pack is the perfect addition to use with our printable alphabet letter crafts. This printable pack is the tenth
Join a llama and a ladybug in our next Letter printable pack: the Letter L activities for preschool printable pack. It is the next installment in our Free
What do rocket, rhino and robot all have in common? They are all part of the next printable pack in the series, the Letter R Worksheets