Looking for some awesome books to read with your older preschooler? Check out this reading list of the best books for four-year-olds. Selected by a librarian and kid approved, these are the books your kids will want to hear over and over again!
Best Books for 4 year olds
Affiliate links are used in this post. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
One of my favorite activities was reading with my kids. I LOVED reading and was determined to pass on my enjoyment of books to my boys. I knew that reading to my children was a guaranteed way to raise readers, so we spent many happy hours enjoying stories together.
Once I started working at the public library it was my joy to read to the preschoolers. Story time was the highlight of my week.
Four is such a fun age for reading, isn’t it?
They’re young enough to still love reading with you and old enough to get the humour and understand the message behind the book.
There are some amazing books to share with your four-year-old. I’ve pulled together a reading list of some of the best books for four-year old kids. Each book passes my personal test. They are
- Kid approved (they were all loved by the 4-year-olds in our library).
- Fun to read aloud (because you will be probably read them a zillion times over).
- Have great illustrations.
Before we start a few things about 4-year-olds. Generally speaking
- They still love picture books and like books with lots of details.
- They are able to sit still for longer stories.
- Repetition is key. They will still ask for their favorite books over and over. Even better they will start to recite these favorites from memory.
- They can learn the mechanics of reading, but often their brains haven’t reached the stage where they can comprehend the words.
- The most important thing you can do at this stage is to keep reading fun.
Reading is a skill that children acquire when they are developmentally ready. It has nothing to do with intelligence. You cannot rush it and too much pressure can turn your child off reading very quickly EEK!
If you’re a fan of Amazon (ME!) you can grab these titles by clicking on the links below. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
10 Best Books For Four Year Olds
1. Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds
Jasper Rabbit loves to eat carrots. He stops by the carrot patch day and night. But one day the carrots start following him. Soon Jasper starts seeing creepy carrots everywhere. No one believes him, so Jasper takes matters into his own hands. Children love the antics of the carrots in this story and the twist at the end is delightful. Who knew carrots could be so sneaky?
2. The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt
3. Little Green Peas by Keith Baker
4. Swatch: The Girl Who Loved Color by Julia Denos
5. The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas
6. If You Plant A Seed by Kadir Nelson
A rabbit and a mouse plant seeds that grow into food, but they refuse to share with the birds. Mayhem ensues and the animals end up in a big mess of squashed vegetables. Everything turns around when the mouse offers the birds the last tomato and plants “a seed of kindness.” The illustrations are stunning and children really like the story and quickly understand the message. The author does an amazing job of conveying a powerful message about the power of kindness without getting too preachy.
7. Stuck by Oliver Jeffers
8. Grumpy Bird by Jeremy Tankard
9. Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andreae
Books like Chicka, Chicka Boom Boom is an example of what is called a predictable text. They are very important for pre-readers. Learn more about the value of predictable text here.
There are so many wonderful books for preschoolers that it was difficult to narrow it down to the very best books for four year olds. If your very favorite didn’t make the list, tell us what it is in the comments below! What book does your four year old love the most?
Save This List of The Best Books For Four-Year-Olds
Want to save this post for later? Pin the image below.