My children and I are bookworms. We love going on new adventures and being transported to different worlds. In today’s post I am going to show you the best children’s audio books. Some of these stories for kids will be classics and some will be books you may not have heard of yet. These audio books for kids will include books for all ages.
Children’s Audio Books
Please note that affiliate links are used in this post. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
One of my favorite times of day is bedtime. I LOVE cuddling up to my children in one of our beds and reading a good chapter book to them. Sometimes we do collaborative reading with picture books that are more geared to my 4 year old. Other times I choose one of my favorite chapter books for children and begin reading that. I recently finished reading aloud The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and it was amazing. We read it over 7 nights and it was something we all looked forward to. There are a few other read aloud books that I’ve been wanting to read to my children but sometimes my voice gets tired. That’s when it hit me… why not cuddle up to them and get to close my eyes at the same time while listening to a book being read aloud to me too!
I decided to try a free trial at Audible to see what I thought of the books. The fact that after the free trial you could decide to join the monthly subscription meant that I would make it a priority to make sure we would listen to one read aloud book together a month. This would give my 8 year old daughter enough time to independently read a book herself (to encourage her reading fluency) and my 4 year old would still get to read picture books too. Our favorite way to listen to audiobooks is using an Alexa device. I also use the Alexa device as a speaker to check in on my kids.
You can listen to children’s audio books at bedtime or in the car.
If you aren’t keen on getting an Audible subscription you can look at your local library to see the audio books they have. I tend to do that with our audio book choices first. Then, if I see that there is a long wait list for a book or it isn’t available I then check on Audibles and use up my monthly credit.
Good times to listen to audiobooks for kids:
- At bedtime to help them unwind.
- During bath time.
- When they are doing chores.
- When they are coloring or drawing.
- In the car.
- When mom is helping one of the siblings with homework.
- While mom is running errands with them.
- Snuggling with mom for some quiet time.
Audio Books For Kids
- The Harry Potter Books – Here is book one.
- The Ramona Quimby Series
- Little House In The Big Woods
- The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane – My 4 year old and 8 year old really enjoyed this one.
- Stuart Little
- Charlotte’s Web
- A Wrinkle In Time
- The One and Only Ivan
- A Series of Unfortunate Events – This one is better for children ages 7 – 13 years old. I haven’t personally read/listened to it but I have heard it has some wonderful special effects.
- Mr Popper’s Penguins – 3rd and 4th graders tend to love this one. (8 and 9 year olds)
- Henry Huggins – This one would suit a good variety of ages. (5 – 9)
- Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing
- The True Meaning Of Smekday (This Sci-Fi novel is good for children ages 7-12)
- Peter and The Starcatchers (This Peter Pan novel is for children ages 10-14.) This book is currently on my wish list. The reviews are AMAZING.
- The Wonderful Wizard Of Oz – Read by Anne Hathaway. This one is better for children 8+
- The Secret Garden
- The Black Stallion – Perfect for children ages 8-12 years old.
- The Boxcar Children – This is great for children ages 4+
- Mrs. Piggle Wiggle – Great for all ages
- My Father’s Dragon
- The Borrowers – This one is only available as an Audio CD
- The Mouse and The Motorcycle – Ages 5+
- Pippi Longstocking – Ages 6+
- The Magic Treehouse series – Ages 5+
- Children’s Favorites – Disney Bedtime stories – These are so wonderful to listen to at night before bed. Even when I am not in the room I can tell Alexa to “Read Children’s Favorites” and then tell “Alexa, read for 15 minutes” so that Alexa switches off afterwards.
- The Peter Rabbit Collection – At under a dollar for 2 hours and 42 minutes of storytelling, this one is definitely one to purchase rather than using for your Audible credit. Beatrix Potter’s Peter Rabbit so very loved!
If you prefer to read the books, I love my Kindle Paperwhite.
If you do decide to get an Audible subscription, or at least try out the Two Free Audiobooks to listen to these audio books for kids then check out my tips below.
Tips to making the most out of your Audible subscription:
- Check your local library for the audio book first.
- If they don’t have it, check the audio book price on Amazon.
- If the book is less than $14 then buy the Amazon Audio book.
- If the book is more than $14 use your Audible credit.
Do you have any other favorite audio stories for kids? Am I missing out on any children’s audio books that were great?