Wanting to spend good quality time with your children? Then check out the best board games for families to play together. In the list below I have included only games that our family has tried, tested and LOVED.
Best games for families to play together
I’m always looking for good family games to play for family night. We try to incorporate playing board games on the weekends or when we have some down time at home. I love that board games are beneficial for children.
Why is it good for children to play board games? It teaches them to:
- take turns
- learn to be cooperative
- accepting that you cannot always win
- learn crucial skills like counting and budgeting money.
Please note that this post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
1. Monopoly Classic Edition – No childhood board game collection is complete without this classic game. Each player takes turns rolling a dice and can purchase properties. Whenever a player lands on someone elses property, they have to pay them a rental fee. It is so much of fun. The Monopoly Junior edition is one of my favorite board games for 4 year olds and up. It is more geared towards younger children than the classic. The classic can be enjoyed by adults too! My 4 year old, 8 year old and 10 year old happily play the junior edition. There are so many variations of Monopoly, but I always feel the classic editions are often the best. There is even a Monopoly card game that is quick and fun! If you are not keen on dealing with “money” (although that is mostly the point of the game) then you can get the credit card version. If you want to play the game with your preschooler or young children then get the Monopoly Junior Edition. There is also a personalized version that you can add our own families pictures to.
2. The Game of Life – The Game of Life involves players choosing a career and their life path. they can purchase property and have children through their journey. This game has moved with us over two countries. Yes, it is a true favorite in our home. I think kids are fascinated about the fact that, in the game, they can become mom’s and dads. They can have twins and real jobs. It gives them such a fun sense of pride. Especially when they announce that they have just had twins! You could get the electronic banking card version which would make it easier for the kids to play alone. They would miss out on all that money counting practice, but it puts a ‘credit card’ and calculator into practice.
3. Candyland – This board game is among my favorite first board games for kids. It is also a great way to practice color recognition. It’s fairly simple to understand and the game isn’t too long. There is no dice, just cards. Each card contains a color that your player needs to go to. Candyland is one of the best board games for 3 year olds and up!
5. Zingo – This version of Bingo can be played by children as young as 2. It becomes a quick toddler and preschooler favorite. You could also print out one of our free printable bingo games for kids. I’d say this is more appropriate for children ages 2-6. This one is a must have in your toddler board games closet!
This is our stash of board games below.
Need some ideas on how to store board games? Then check out these ingenious organization solutions!
I hope you enjoyed this list of top board games for families to play together. Do you have any favorites to add to the list? Leave a comment letting me know.