These Dr. Seuss quotes are inspiring, motivational, fun, and they make you reflect. These quotes are great to encourage you throughout the year and many would be wonderful as vinyl on your walls.
Please note that affiliate links may be used in this post. That means that if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you, this site will earn a small commission.
Dr. Seuss Sayings
Dr. Seuss Day is right around the corner. We’ve been doing fun Dr. Seuss book-themed activities like creating fun Dr. Seuss Crafts, playing the One Fish Two Fish Rhyming Words for Kids game, and even doing science experiments (like this Bartholomew and the Oobleck Recipe.)
In keeping with this wonderful and fun theme, I’m excited to share with you some of my favorite Dr Seuss Quotes.
Here are some Dr. Seuss quotes that I hope will make you smile and make you think of some of your favorite Dr. Seuss Books.
Who was Dr. Seuss?
His real name was Theodor Geisel and he was an American writer and cartoonist, whose books have been popular for over 70 years!
He wrote 46 children’s books, which were incredibly popular during his lifetime, selling more than 600 million copies.
Many of his books have gone on to become Caldecott Honor Books or Newberry Medal Winners. Some of his most well-known books are ‘The Cat in the Hat,’ Green Eggs and Ham’, ‘One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish,’ Oh the Places You’ll Go’, and ‘How the Grinch Stole Christmas’.
Read these interesting facts about Dr. Seuss.
Dr. Seuss Quotes
Dr. Seuss had many famous quotes. Some of these quotes were taken from his books, and others from his interviews.
Here are 50 of our favorites.
- “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
2. “Only you can control your future.”- Dr. Seuss
3. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” — Dr. Seuss
4. “Simple it’s not, I am afraid you will find, for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.” – Dr. Seuss
5.. “You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So get on your way!” — Dr. Seuss
6. “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is you-er than you. Shout aloud, I am glad to be what I am. Thank goodness I’m not a ham, or a clam, or a dusty old jar of gooseberry jam. I am what I am, what a great thing to be. If I say so myself, happy every day to me!”―
7. “If we do not choose, we will end up with none.” — Dr. Seuss
8. “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.” — Dr. Seuss
9. “If you’d never been born, then you might be an Isn’t! An Isn’t has no fun at all. No, he didn’t!” – Dr. Seuss
10. “Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” ― Dr. Seuss
11. “Kid, you’ll move mountains.” – Dr. Seuss
12. Only you can control your future.” — Dr. Seuss
13. “With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down any not-so-good street.” – Dr. Seuss
14. “You have to be odd to be number one.” — Dr. Seuss
15. “Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!” — Dr. Seuss
16. “It’s not about what it is, it’s about what it can become.” – Dr. Seuss
17. “It is better to know how to learn than to know.” — Dr. Seuss
18. “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” — Dr. Seuss
19. “I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.” – Dr. Seuss
20. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” — Dr. Seuss
21. “You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” — Dr. Seuss
22. “You know when you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Seuss
23. “You’re in pretty good shape for the shape you are in.” — Dr. Seuss
24. “Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living—it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.” — Dr. Seuss
25. “Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets.” — Dr. Seuss
27. “When something bad happens you have three choices. You can either let it define you, let is destroy you, or you can let it strengthen you.”― Dr. Seuss
28. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”- Dr. Seuss
29. “Reading can take you places you have never been before.” — Dr. Seuss
30. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” – Dr. Seuss
31. “You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child.” – Dr. Seuss
32. “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.” — Dr. Seuss
33. “For a host, above all, must be kind to his guests.” ― Dr. Seuss
34. “Kid, you’ll move mountains.” — Dr. Seuss
35. “Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and twice as beautiful as you’ve ever imagined.” — Dr. Seuss
35. “And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!” — Dr. Seuss
36. “My trouble was I had a mind but I couldn’t make it up!” ― Dr. Seuss
37. “It’s not about what it is. It’s about what it can become.” — Dr. Seuss
38. “So, open your mouth, lad! For every voice counts!” — Dr. Seuss
39. “Whenever things go a bit sour in a job I’m doing, I always tell myself, ‘You can do better than this.’” — Dr. Seuss
40. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – Dr. Seuss
41. “Some people are much more… oh, ever so much more… oh, muchly much-much more unlucky than you!” ― Dr. Seuss
42. “You’ll be on your way up! You’ll be seeing great sights! You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.” — Dr. Seuss
43. “I sort of got thinking—it’s sort of a shame that scrambled eggs always taste always the same.” — Dr. Seuss
44. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” — Dr. Seuss
45. “Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don’t and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it’d be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.” – Dr. Seuss
46. “Things may happen and often do to people as brainy and footsy as you.” – Dr. Seuss
47. “You’ll never be bored when you try something new. There’s really no limit to what you can do.” — Dr. Seuss
48. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out.” — Dr. Seuss
49. “You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.” – Dr. Seuss
50. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction that you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…” – Dr. Seuss
51. “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.” — Dr. Seuss
52. “So be sure when you step, step with care and great tact. And remember that life is a great balancing act.” – Dr. Seuss
53. “All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you’ll be quite a lot.” – Dr. Seuss
54. “Today I shall behave, as if this is the day I will be remembered.” — Dr. Seuss
55. “You’re off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so…get on your way!” -Dr. Seuss
56. “Nothing is going to change, unless someone does something soon.” — Dr. Seuss
57. “Oh, the things you can find if you don’t stay behind!” — Dr. Seuss
58. “When he worked, he really worked. But when he played, he really played.” — Dr. Seuss
59. “Congratulations! Today is your day!” – Dr. Seuss
60. “Only you can control your future.” – Dr. Seuss
“Oh the things you can find, if you don’t stay behind!” – Dr. Seuss
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
“Unless someone like you care a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – Dr. Seuss
61. “You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” – Dr. Seuss
62. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” – Dr. Seuss
63. “If things start happening, don’t worry, don’t stew, just go right along and you’ll start happening too.” – Dr. Seuss“I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.” – Dr. Seuss
64. “When something bad happens you have three choices. You can either let it define you, let is destroy you, or you can let it strengthen you.” – Dr. Seuss
65. “Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.” – Dr. Seuss
These are just some popular quotes by Dr. Seuss, there is still so many more.
Do you have a favorite Dr Seuss quote to share?
Dr. Seuss FAQ
Is Dr Seuss still alive?
No he is not alive anymore. Dr. Seuss died on May 24, 1991 at the age of 87.
March 2nd is Dr. Seuss Day. It was also his birthday.
No he was not. He added Dr. to his pen name because his dad always wanted him to practice medicine.
Throwing a Dr Seuss Birthday Party? Check out these Dr. Seuss birthday ideas!
Dr Seuss Favorites
If you like these quotes, don’t forget to check out some of these other great quote posts, too!
This post was originally published on February 26, 2020. It was updated on January 7th, 2022.